Monday, February 28, 2011

Weekly Featured Animal: The Seal

My friend Captain Fairlong shared this video he captured while on an expedition in Greenland. This little baby seal is too cute for words, I had to share him with you.





The seal caught sliding around is a Harp Seal. They mainly reside in the icy oceanic waters of the North Atlantic and Arctic Oceans. Able to dive nearly 1,000 feet and can remain submerged for up to 15 minutes in the freezing waters. Baby seals like the one in the video go without food for SIX WEEKS. They lose half their body weight until the dive and begin hunting for themselves. Talk about survival of the fittest!


Over at The Jungle Store we have a variety of seal accessories. My favorite is this white seal furry purse.


Granted I don't use mine on any of the expeditions I go on, but when I'm back in civilization I like to remember my animal friends by taking them out on the town. ha!

No comments: